How to prepare for Self-Assessment tax return season
Football season is over and, with Pompey crowned League 2 Champions, it’s time to get ready for your 2016-2017 Self Assessment (SA) Tax Return.
The tax year ended on April 5th and, although the online filing deadline isn’t until January 31st 2017, now is the best time to start preparing, while your recent accounts are fresh in your mind. Being ahead of the game will also help you to plan more effectively for the year ahead.
Three Self Assessment deadlines
- 31 July 2017 Renewal of tax credits claim
- 30 December 2017 Online filing of SA return to collect up to £3,000 via PAYE Coding in 2018-2019
- 31 January 2018 Final submission of SA return
Each year, HMRC send a notice to all taxpayers who need to complete an SA. If you do not receive a notice but feel that you should have done, you are obliged to notify HMRC of any tax liability by October 5th.
If you’re a Maitland client, we’ve allocated you a time slot to complete your return with one of our managers. All time slots are between June and November 2017, and you’ll receive a letter confirming your date and time.
Before your time slot, please provide us with all the relevant collated information for your SA. Also let us know if your personal circumstances have changed at all since 6 April 2016 – such as a change in name, marriage, children or contact details.
Documents and information to prepare
See the table below for the most common items you need to prepare.
|If you have…||Please send us:|
|Employment||– Forms P60, P45 and P11D
– HMRC Notices of Coding 2016-17
– Final payslip for each employment 2016-17
– Business mileage and amounts reimbursed
– Termination agreement letters
|Self-employment & partnership||– Accounts, books and papers|
|UK property||– Rent a Room amounts received
– Details and supporting documents for income and expenses.
|Foreign income||– For Employment & Pensions: Annual statement of income & tax deducted
– For Business income: Self-employed or partnership accounts
– For Dividends & Interest: Tax deduction certificates showing date received, gross, tax and net income
– For Land & property: Details & supporting docs for income & expenses
– For Capital Disposals: Contract notes for sale and original purchase
|Trusts||– Trust Accounts or Trust Tax Vouchers R185|
|Capital Gains||For the sale of:
– Business: Sale/purchase contract agreements- Land & Property: Completion statements for sale & original purchase- Shares, Bonds & Unit Trusts: Contract notes for sale & original purchase
|Interest & dividends||– For UK tax interest: Certificates or bank statements showing amount and dates interest received
– For UK Dividends – tax vouchers showing date and amounts received
|State pension||– Annual Letter BR5899 from The Pension Service confirming amounts to be received|
|Other State Benefits||– For Jobseekers Allowance & Incapacity Benefit: Forms P60 and P45.
– For Other Taxable State Benefits, including Bereavement Allowance, Widows Pension, Carers Allowance: Supporting documents
|Other pensions||– Forms P60 and P45|
|Other taxable income||– For Gains on UK Life Assurance Policies: Chargeable Event Certificate
– For Casual earnings, commission or freelance Income: details and supporting documents
|Other payments and claims for relief||– For Pension Contributions: Supporting documents showing dates and amounts paid, pension provider, policy number.
– For Charitable Covenants and Gift Aid: Supporting documentation showing dates and amounts paid.
– For Enterprise Investment Scheme and Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme: Contract notes/EIS3 or EIS5/SEIS3/VCT certificates.
|Student Loan Repayments|
|Student Loans||Correspondence from Students Loan Company|
|High Income Child Benefit Charge|
|Children||– Note of amount of Child Benefit you and your partner received
– Number of children you received this for
|Relevant paperwork to prove that you were:
– Married to same person for whole/part of tax year
– Both born on/after 6-April-1935
The 2017-18 Sky Bet EFL League One kicks off on Saturday 5 August 2017 so you still have plenty of time to get your SA documents together before then!
For advice or more information on your SA Tax Return, contact our Online Accounts Team on 01825 748308.