Year End Tax Planning 2018 – Part 2

More top tips to help you take stock of your finances

Tax Planning Top Tips. Following on from our post last month, here is part 2 of our guide to tax planning which looks at further accountancy top tips which may help you save money for the year ahead.

Please get in touch with a member of our team should you require further clarification or you need any further advice for your business.

Have a look at our year end tax planning guide in full by clicking on the link below.

Year End Tax Planning Guide 2018 >>

Tax Planning Top Tips
Take stock of your finances

Here are just a few of our ‘Tax Planning Top Tips’, we hope you enjoy them.

Obtain tax relief on personal pension contributions

In many circumstances, you may have unused annual allowances from the three previous years which can be utilised in 2017/18. Please talk to us for more advice here.

Remember all individuals, including children, can obtain tax relief on personal pension contributions of £3,600 (gross) each year without reference to earnings: also, that for directors of family companies, it can be advantageous for the company to make employer pension contributions.

Individuals with higher income may find that their annual allowance is reduced on a tapered basis to £10,000.

Any unused pension relief from 2014/15 will be lost if not used by 5 April 2018.

Make the best use of personal allowance across the family

Each spouse is taxed separately

Each spouse is taxed separately, so a key element in tax planning is to make the best use of the personal allowance; the starting and basic rate tax band; savings allowance and dividend allowance. You can also think about gifts of assets to distribute income more evenly – always ensuring gifts are outright and unconditional.

In the tax year 2017/18, the personal allowance is £11,500, and the basic rate band is £33,500. With the personal allowance, the threshold at which taxpayers start paying higher rate tax becomes £45,000. In Scotland, the story is slightly different. Other than for savings and dividend income, the basic rate income tax band for Scottish residents is £31,500. This means that Scottish taxpayers will generally pay higher rate tax if their income other than savings and dividend income exceeds £43,000 or if their total income exceeds £45,000. Additional rate tax is payable on taxable income above £150,000 for all UK residents.

Using allowances efficiently

Currently, a transfer of just £1,000 of savings income from a higher rate (40%) tax-paying spouse, who has used their SA in full, to a basic rate spouse with no other savings income may save up to £400 a year.

You can transfer part of the personal allowance between spouses. A marriage allowance of £1,150 for 2017/18 can be transferred between spouses, but only where neither spouse pays tax at above the basic rate.

The blind person’s allowance (£2,320 in 2017/18) can also be transferred between spouses if the recipient doesn’t pay tax or can’t use all the allowance.

Income from assets jointly owned by spouses is usually shared equally for tax purposes. This applies even where the asset is owned in unequal shares, unless you make an election to split the income in proportion to the ownership of the assets. Dividend income from jointly owned shares in ‘close’ companies is an exception, being split according to actual share ownership. Close companies are broadly those owned by the directors or five or fewer people.

Make it a family business

Self employed? Run a family company? Think about employing your spouse or taking them into partnership and thus redistributing income. But make sure such arrangements are commercially justifiable: HMRC may query arrangements that aren’t solidly grounded in reality. And remember that National Minimum Wage/Living Wage rules could come into play. Depending on how a company is structured, there could also be pensions auto-enrolment consequences, too.

To make the arrangement work, ensure:

  • wages are actually paid: they’re not just bookkeeping entries
  • that your spouse plays an active part in the business
  • that wages aren’t unrealistically high.

Child benefit: high income charge

If you get Child Benefit, and either you or your live-in partner (widely defined) have yearly income over £50,000, you may have to pay back some or all the benefit through High Income Child Benefit Charge.

Tax Planning Top Tips

It may be possible to reduce your income for Child Benefit purposes in a variety of ways. These include making additional pension contributions or charitable donations, or reviewing how profits are shared and extracted from the family business.

Speak with the Experts

For expert advice on Tax Planning, speak to our team on 01825 748308 or refer to our Year End Tax Planning Guide 2018